Saturday, February 29, 2020

All About Me

I started teaching in public schools in North Carolina at 22. I stopped teaching in public schools in North Carolina at 24. However, I did not completely abandon the classroom life. I actually discovered that there are far more options in the realm of education than we usually hear about. Over the years, I have taught writing workshops, taught classes on field trips at a state park, taught acting to college students, taught Shakespeare to kids after school and on weekends, done summer camps and kids' programs on cruise ships, and now I am teaching English to kids in Germany.

The one common denominator in all of these experiences is the kids. Kids are crazy. They're sweet, funny, maddening, defiant, they can test your patience, and they can also give you hope for the future. Throughout my experience with kids, I have always taken everything in stride, because I always had a sense of humor.

Once the age of social media arrived, I started sharing my daily experiences online. Many of my friends responded that I should find some way to collect and share all of my madness, and that is what I am doing. This is my love letter to teaching. It's the good, the bad, and the ugly of the whole experience. It's usually the ugly that brings out my sense of humor the most. That's where "Come get your children" came from. It was inspired by those teacher moments where your patience is being tested like no tomorrow, and the only thing you can think is "Come get your children". In honor of that feeling, I'm going to start my blog off with a collection of magical moments that I have experienced teaching in Germany. Please enjoy my stories, and after you read them, you'll understand why you need to come get your children.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales From the War: Battle Strategies

My undergraduate degree was a theatre degree with teacher certification. Unfortunately, when I graduated in December, all the theatre te...